Requiescat in pace Fr Eugene Weber

October 9, 2019

Diocesan priest, Fr Eugene Weber, was farewelled yesterday in a moving Pontifical Funeral Mass celebrated by Bishop Emeritus Peter Ingham at St Francis Xavier Cathedral in the presence of hundreds of Fr Eugene’s family, friends, parishioners and over 20 clergy.

It was a wonderful tribute to a much loved priest who faithfully served the people of God in the Diocese of Wollongong for almost 50 years as well as his country as a soldier during World War II.

Born on 24 November 1922 in Dulwich Hill, NSW, Fr Eugene William George Weber was the loved son of Eugene William Weber and Mary Elizabeth Weber (nee Rowlands) and brother of Sr Mary LCM (dec), Marie (dec), Regis (dec), Paul and Peter (dec).

Fr Eugene attended St Paul of the Cross Catholic Primary School, Dulwich Hill, Christian Brothers’ High School, Lewisham, and MSC Douglas Park.

He served overseas with the Second Australian Imperial Force (7th Division—in commandos, signals, HQ administration, operation and intelligence units.)

Following this, Fr Eugene worked in the NSW Railway Secretariat for some years. He also worked as a teacher in the State Education Department.

He was secretary of the Dulwich Hill ALP Branch (1947–1953) and was involved in theatrical and sporting organisations.

He was also active in the Catholic Youth Organisation (CYO), and was a member of Catholic Action groups and the St Vincent de Paul Society.

He was a Franciscan brother (Br Thomas OFM) for eight years before beginning his studies for the priesthood at Springwood and Manly in 1964. He was ordained to the diaconate in December 1969, and was then ordained to the priesthood for the Diocese of Wollongong by Bishop Thomas McCabe at St Paul of the Cross Catholic Church in Dulwich Hill on Friday 14 August 1970. He celebrated his first Mass in the same church at 11am the next day.

Fr Eugene served as an assistant priest in Nowra (1970), Corrimal (1971–1974), Campbelltown (1974–1975), Bulli (1975–76) and Dapto (1976–1977).  He was then appointed parish priest at The Oaks (1977–1983). He also served as assistant priest at Unanderra (1984–1985) and Albion Park (1985), and then as administrator at Berkeley (1985–1988), assistant priest at Fairy Meadow (1988–1993), chaplain to Wollongong Hospital (1990) and assistant priest at Albion Park in 1993 until he retired in 1998.

“Well done, good and faithful servant!” (Mt 25:23). Requiescat in pace.

DOWNLOAD funeral booklet

Photos by Daniel Hopper.


Go back