Peter William Ingham was born at Crows Nest, NSW, on 19 January 1941. He was ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Sydney by His Eminence Cardinal Gilroy at St Mary’s Cathedral on 18 July 1964. Following some parish appointments, he spent six years as private secretary to His Eminence Cardinal Freeman and general secretary of the Archdiocese for 10 years. He was nominated a prelate of honour to His Holiness Pope John Paul II in 1986. In 1990 he returned to parish ministry as parish priest of St Charles, Ryde. He was ordained auxiliary bishop of Sydney on 12 July 1993 by His Eminence Cardinal Clancy. He was installed as the fourth bishop of Wollongong on 25 July 2001. In July 2013, Bishop Ingham celebrated the 20th anniversary of his episcopal ordination and on 18 July 2014 he celebrated the 50th anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood. Bishop Ingham retired on 30 November 2017.
MOST REV PHILIP E WILSON DD JCL
Third Bishop of Wollongong
Philip Edward Wilson was born at Cessnock, NSW, on 2 October 1950. He was ordained to the priesthood for the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle on 23 August 1975. In 1987, he was appointed vicar general to Bishop Leo Clarke in the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle. He studied Canon Law in Washington DC, obtaining his licentiate in Canon Law in May 1992. He returned to Washington in 1995 to complete his doctorate, but had his studies interrupted on being appointed bishop of Wollongong on 12 April 1996.
He was ordained third bishop of Wollongong on 10 July 1996. Bishop Wilson was appointed coadjutor archbishop of Adelaide on 30 November 2000 and was installed as archbishop of Adelaide on 3 December 2001. Archbishop Wilson resigned as the archbishop of Adelaide on 30 July 2018.
MOST REV WILLIAM E MURRAY AM DD DScSoc
Second Bishop of Wollongong
William Edward Murray was born in Leichhardt, NSW, on 16 February 1920. He was ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of Sydney on 21 July 1945.
He studied in Rome between 1955 and 1958 gaining a doctorate in Social Science. He was subsequently spokesman for the Archdiocese of Sydney and director of the Catholic Information Bureau. Prior to being appointed a bishop, Dr Murray was rector of St Columba’s College in Springwood.
He was ordained second bishop of Wollongong on 21 July 1975 at St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Wollongong. Bishop Murray retired as the bishop of Wollongong in February 1996 and died on 21 April 2013.
MOST REV THOMAS A MCCABE DD
First Bishop of Wollongong
Thomas Absolem McCabe was born at South West Rocks, NSW, on 30 June 1902.
He was ordained to the priesthood for the Diocese of Lismore on 20 December 1925. On 12 March 1939, he was ordained as bishop of Port Pirie (Port Augusta), South Australia, and on 15 November 1951 was appointed the first bishop of Wollongong. He was installed at St Francis Xavier Cathedral in Wollongong on 24 February 1952.
Due to ill health, Bishop McCabe resigned on 10 May 1974. Bishop McCabe died at Polding Villa, Glebe, on the feast of the Holy Cross on 14 September 1983.
Our diocesan logo is theologically rich and very succinct. As a hand, it depicts our mission as a diocese and as individuals within the diocese, of bearing (bringing, carrying) Christ’s love to one another and to the world around us. In this, we are the hand of Jesus Christ, and we are offering ourselves to him so that he might work through us.
We can be the bearers of his love only as a response to his call and in the strength of his grace. We are reminded of this in two ways—through the symbol of the dove (the Holy Spirit) also present in the logo, and by the incorporation of the cross that segments the logo. The presence of the cross is a reminder that bearing the love of Christ will inevitably cost us if we live it authentically. However, in the way that the Cross is the portent of redemption and life—an echo of the tree of life in the book of Genesis—so becoming bearers of the love of Christ will also bring us to life.
The four fingers of the hand also represent the four regions of our diocese. The first is bluerepresenting the beautiful water of the Shoalhaven. The second is a blue and green combination representing the waters and escarpment of the Illawarra. The third is greendepicting the hills and plains of the Macarthur. The fourth is dark green illustrating the forests of the Southern Highlands.