Position vacant | Manager—Communications, Media Engagement & Marketing
November 1, 2019
MANAGER – COMMUNICATIONS,
MEDIA ENGAGEMENT & MARKETING
Catholic Education Diocese of Wollongong
WORK TYPE: Permanent full time
JOB NO: 494346
CATERGORIES: CEO – Office of Director
ADVERTISED: AUS EDT)
WHO WE ARE
The Catholic Diocese of Wollongong extends from the Macarthur in the north and Southern Highlands in the west, through the Illawarra and down to the Shoalhaven on the south coast of NSW. Catholic Education Diocese of Wollongong (CEDoW) comprises 38 Catholic schools with almost 20,000 enrolled across the diocese. The Office of the Bishop (OoB) exists to provide support to the Bishop of Wollongong in his mission of leading people into communion with God and each other. We perform this Gospel ministry of service by working together, using our personal and professional gifts to make Jesus Christ known and loved.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is a permanent full time position commencing 28 January 2020 until 27 January 2023. The position involves contributing to the implementation of the Vision and Strategic Direction of CEDoW as expressed in Lighting the Way and the mission of the OoB. As part of the evolution of the media and communications team, the Manager – Communications, Media Engagement & Marketing will be responsible for internal and external communications, media relations and marketing strategy, in support of the diocese’s evangelising mission, particularly as expressed through Catholic education and the local Church.
WHY WE NEED YOU
As an experienced, intelligent and articulate professional within the communications and media relations landscape, we seek your integrity, faith and capability to help us build, maintain and improve relationships and effectively communicate key messages to those in the diocese and the wider community. Your passion and honesty are essential aspects of this role to ensure that our media engagement, marketing and publicity strategies are delivered to support truth and understanding.
SALARY & CONDITIONS
Salary and Conditions are in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of Employment at the Catholic Education Office Diocese of Wollongong. The Manager – Communications, Media Engagement and Marketing will receive a competitive salary, commensurate with the complexity of the role, skills, experience and qualifications. Superannuation contributions are made in keeping with Superannuation Guarantee legislation. Approved tools of trade, including a fully maintained motor vehicle, are provided for the professional use of the Manager. Salary packaging arrangements are also available to CEDoW staff. This is a three-year fixed term position, with opportunity for renewal subject to the completion of a successful appraisal process during the period of the initial appointment.
The key responsibilities of the Manager Communications, Media Engagement & Marketing will include:
- Developing an effective communications plan, public relations and media engagement strategy
- Providing high-level strategic communications advice primarily to the Director of Schools and the Bishop of Wollongong, and further as required to other members of the diocesan senior leadership on media, public relations and marketing issues
- Establishing and maintaining effective relationships, referrals and liaison with media contacts and other community stakeholders
- Responding to media enquiries and drafting appropriate responses and media releases/statements
- Coordination of Emergency/Crisis Management communication, and associated issues and consequence management
- Assisting with the drafting of other public statements and letters to school communities and the people of God across the diocese
- Leading the day-to-day work of the CEDoW Communications Team, responsible for reporting on school and diocesan events and activities and developing ideas and leads for interesting news stories that showcase the mission of the Church, particularly in Catholic education
- Keeping up-to-date with relevant issues affecting the diocese and assisting in the preparation of materials to communicate the Church’s position in a spirit of truth and love
- Overseeing the creation of written and visual content for dissemination, including via press release, and for the CEDoW website, social media platforms and print publications
- Proposing story pitches and releases with media contacts to maximise coverage and profile building
- Using skills and tools to effectively monitor online conversations, media mentions and community discussions
- Preparing insight and analytic reports to track impact, market share, branding and sentiment analysis
- Working as appropriate with schools, partner diocesan agencies, parishes and the community to ensure consistency in responses and public messaging
- Develop and maintain internal policies, processes and frameworks supporting communications between schools, the CEO and all other relevant stakeholders
- Assisting the Diocesan Creative Communications team with copywriting and sub-editing of diocesan publications and digital platforms
- Ensure the creative content and production quality of print and online materials are consistent with CEDoW identity, values, policies and corporate objectives
- Other reasonable duties as directed within the support and skill set consistent with the role.
The Manager – Communications, Media Engagement & Marketing reports to the Director of Schools through the Professional Assistant to the Director of Schools (PADS). In addition, you will coordinate and oversee the work of the CEDoW Communications Team and will also work as required with the:
- Bishop of Wollongong
- Vicar General
- Chief Operations Manager
- Heads of Service, Principals and school leadership teams in CEDoW
- Senior diocesan leaders including Directors in the Office of the Bishop and diocesan agencies.
YOUR SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Ideally, you have:
- A personal commitment to the ethos, values and teaching principles of the Catholic Church
- A bachelor’s degree in a communications related field such as media, communication, journalism, marketing, public policy or a similar discipline
- Relevant senior-level media management and communications experience (at least 5 years) in a similar type role
- An ability to coordinate complex matters
- Capacity to maintain the utmost level of confidentiality, sensitivity and discretion
- High-level strategic, research and analytical skills, with a related capacity to provide sound advice, options and strategic solutions
- Excellent interpersonal, relational and networking skills and a capacity to liaise concurrently with multiple stakeholders
- Experience coordinating a multi-skilled team and a proven ability to support and supervise staff
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, especially due regard to the tone of voice and audience across the diocesan context
- Experience in proofreading, editing and quality content creation
- Attention to detail
- The ability to manage a complex workload
- An understanding of the work and operation of the Catholic Church in NSW/Australia is highly desirable
- A familiarity with the education sector or experience working in an education setting is highly desirable.
CHECKS AND CLEARANCES
Appointments are subject to the following checks and clearances:
- Referee checks
- National Criminal History Record check
- Working with Children Check clearance.
- Applicants must hold a valid NSW Drivers Licence
- Due to the nature of the role, some weekend and after-hours work may be required, on occasion.
Expressions of Interest should include a current CV and a cover letter addressing your suitability for the role, referencing the key responsibilities, relationships and the required skills, experience and qualifications. For further enquiries or to confidentially discuss your application please contact Tim Gilmour on 02 4253 0938.
Closing date: 20 November 2019 at 5pmGo back