A place of spiritual formation and rejuvenation for young people and adults, in Mittagong, run by the Marist Brothers.
Originally acquired to serve as the Novitiate (a training centre for young men to become Brothers), the property was purchased in 1905 from Dr Edwin Chisholm. After the Novitiate was transferred to Sydney in 1985, the vacated premises were renamed ‘Marist Farmhouse’ and used for young adult ministry. The Juniorate (a secondary boarding school for boys aspiring to become Brothers) moved to Mittagong in 1917 and remained there for 55 years. With its closure at the end of 1972, the vacated premises were then used for school retreats and the site was renamed the ‘Marist Retreat Centre’. From the beginning of 2006 both sites were merged to form The Hermitage, the original name given to the property in 1906 when the Brothers first bought it. It was given this name in honour of the Mother House of the Marist Brothers near Lyon in France, built by the founder of the Brothers, Marcellin Champagnat, in 1824-26.
- Address: Old South Road, Mittagong NSW 2575
- Postal: PO Box 303, Mittagong NSW 2575
- Br Andrew Moraghan
- Tel:: 02 4872 1911
- Fax: 02 4871 1991