Diocese of Wollongong
Experience the rich natural settings, fascinating history, spiritual richness and diverse cultures of the Diocese of Wollongong.
Peaceful retreats, breathtaking beauty, multicultural setting...
Experience the rich natural settings, fascinating history, spiritual richness and diverse cultures of the Diocese of Wollongong. Located just south of urban Sydney yet you will feel a world away. Enjoy fine beaches, majestic views from our mountains and highlands, lush countryside, colourful rainforests and warm and friendly people. Truly a landscape and people-scape in which to give glory to God!
- The Illawarra Region is characterised by spectacular cliffs hugging a beautiful coastline and unique bushland surrounds among a unique urban and industrial landscape. Our historic St Francis Xavier's Cathedral is located in the City of Wollongong.
- The Southern Highlands is well known for its colourful gardens, old-style historic villages and many retreat centres.
- The South Coast offers pristine beaches, picturesque seaside towns, and quaint rural villages. This area's ten national parks each have their own special natural charms including the beach with the world's whitest sand.
The Macarthur stretches across the south-west of Sydney, and incorporates the Church of Appin, the oldest continuously used Catholic Church on the Australian mainland.
A diocese is the Church's name for the portion of God's people living in a geographical region served by a Bishop. Our Bishop, Peter Ingham, serves thirty-one parishes from Helensburgh down to Ulladulla and from Southern Highlands up to Camden and Campbelltown area.
Initially, the Diocese was comprised of parishes in the Illawarra, Shoalhaven and Southern Highland regions. In 1954 it was expanded to include Camden and Campbelltown and in 1975 the parishes of Batemans Bay, Moruya and Narooma reverted to the Archdiocese of Canberra & Goulburn. The boundaries of the Diocese have since remained the same. The most recently established parish is Rosemeadow (1994), which happens to incorporate the Church of Appin, the oldest continuously used Catholic Church on the Australian mainland.
Our Patroness - The Immaculate Heart of Mary
To you, mother of the Church,
we confidently entrust our Bishop,
our priests and religious, our families, ourselves.
Give us the light of true wisdom, a wisdom to be found only in your Son.
Mother Mary, in this Diocese dedicated to your Immaculate heart - pray for us.
Parishes of Bowral, Camden, Campbelltown, Eagle Vale, Ingleburn, Macquarie Fields, Mittagong, Moss Vale, Picton, Rosemeadow, Ruse, The Oaks, Varroville
Parishes of Bulli, Corrimal, Fairy Meadow, Gwynneville, Helensburgh, Thirroul, Unanderra, West Wollongong, Wollongong (Cathedral)
Parishes of Albion Park, Berkeley, Dapto, Kiama, Milton, Nowra, Port Kembla, Shellharbour, Warrawong
- 1951 - 1974: Thomas Absolem McCabe, RIP, (b.1902 - d.1983)
- 1975 - 1996: William Edward Murray, now Bishop Emeritus of Wollongong
- 1996 - 2000: Philip Edward Wilson, now Archbishop of Adelaide