The Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse has been engaged in its work for almost two years now and Bishop Peter Ingham has invited Mr Francis Sullivan, the Chief Executive Officer of the Truth, Justice and Healing Council (TJHC) to visit the Diocese again.
The TJHC was established at the commencement of the Royal Commission to:
- Speak for the Church in matters related to the Commission and child sexual abuse;
- Coordinate the Church’s legal representation at the Commission;
- Identify systemic institutional failures that have impeded the protection of children; and
- Indicate to the Commission the procedures that have been put in place over the past 20 years.
Francis Sullivan will address three main questions:
- What are the major learnings from the Royal Commission to date?
- As a Church and as a Diocese – what should we be doing NOW to respond to these learnings in a robust manner?
- What are the learnings from the Wollongong case which went before the Commission?
There will also be opportunity for questions from the audience.
WHEN: Thursday 11 December 2014, 7.30pm – 9.00pm
WHERE: Xavier Centre 38 Harbour Street, Wollongong (next to Cathedral)
WH0: All parishioners in the Diocese
RSVP: 5 December 2014 (for catering)
CONTACT: | 02 4222 2411
COST: free (includes light supper)